When you’re looking for more information about abortion pills, it can be difficult to parse what’s fact and what’s fiction. This is particularly true if you’re looking at content that was published by someone who is against access to safe and effective abortion pills. Below, I’ve compiled a list of the best information available on these pills
Mifepristone (Abortion Pills)
Mifepristone is a pill that is used in combination with misoprostol to end a pregnancy. It can also be used as a single drug to induce abortion. Mifepristone (also called RU-486) is a hormone that blocks the hormone progesterone, which is needed for the maintenance of pregnancy.
Misoprostol (Abortion Pills)
Misoprostol is a prostaglandin analogue and medical termination of pregnancy. Both combination with mifepristone (RU486), or on their own.
Orally by mouth or inserted into the vagina or rectally.
Know the common abortion pills names and their uses.
- It is a medication that block’s the pregnancy hormone progesterone, making it impossible for the uterus to support a pregnancy. In addition, mifepristone causes the cervix to soften and dilate.
- This medication causes cramping and contractions of your uterus. These contractions help empty your uterus of its contents. The process usually takes about two weeks after taking misoprostol pills. However, this time period can vary from person to person depending on how far along they were in their pregnancy.
Medical Abortion with Methotrexate:
- It works by interfering with cell growth by stopping them from dividing properly. This eventually leads to the giving birth process stopping completely within 48 hours after taking this medicine.
- A surgical procedure known as dilation and curettage (D&C) can be done while you are still pregnant if you want an abortion but cannot take medications or don’t want one.
Abortion Pill Cost:
- The average cost for medical abortions in South Africa ranges between R 700-R3000 approximately. It does not include transportation cost which varies depending on where you live.
Abortion Pills Side Effects:
Commonly reported side effects include
- abdominal pain
- backache headache
- pelvic pain
- loss of appetite
- chills sore throat
- vaginal bleeding
- changes in the menstrual cycle
- weight gain/loss etc…
I hope this article helped you to understand more about abortion pills and know the commonly used abortion drug names. You should know what to ask for when getting your medication and which medication to take from the list of various abortion pills. Ref